Thomas Legler is a partner and Head of Arbitration in Geneva. His practice focuses on representing clients in (inter)national arbitration and acting as arbitrator. In addition, he advises clients in the field of intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright), IT and data protection. Swiss Parliament elected him as deputy judge of the Federal Patent Court. Best Lawyers ® recognized him as "Lawyer of the year 2019" for his activity in intellectual property law in Geneva.
Thomas Legler is specialized in general contract and corporate law (incl. distributorship and licensing; pharmaceuticals and watch industry); international and domestic arbitration; litigation in civil law; intellectual property law (patents, trademarks, copyright); telecommunications, computer and Internet law; media and privacy law; construction law.
Thomas Legler is author of several publications, in particular in the field of arbitration, IP and Internet issues, and he is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences (see specific list).
Thomas Legler is recommended as litigator and arbitrator in professional publications and listings, such as the The Legal 500, Patent Law Experts, Who’s Who Legal and Chambers and Partners Europe. The latter indicated in 2015 : "Thomas Legler is applauded for his skill as an arbitrator. He has a particular focus on the life sciences industry", and in 2016: "Thomas Legler is renowned for his arbitration skills, alongside a significant standing on the IP market. He advises a range of corporate and private clients on matters relating to trade marks, copyright, patents, distribution and license agreements."
- Partner, Pestalozzi Attorneys at Law
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow (FCIArb)
- Partner of a major Swiss law firm in Geneva
- University of Geneva: Doctorate in law
- Foreign Associate, Wilmer Cutler & Pickering (now: WilmerHale)
- University of Geneva: LLM ("D.E.S."; Diplôme Etudes Supérieures en droit)
- Associate in a major Swiss law firm in Geneva
- Canton of Geneva: Bar admission
- Legal Counsel, Swiss Union of Privat Railways (UTP)
- University of Berne: Degree in law ("Fürsprecher")
- Canton of Berne: Bar admission
English, French, German
- Fédération suisse des avocats (FSA)
- Ordre des avocats de Genève (OdA)
- International Bar Association (IBA), officer of the IP and Entertainment Law Committee
- Association suisse de l'arbitrage (ASA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), Fellow
- Indicative list of WTO Panelists
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Deutsches Institut für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), member of list of neutrals
- Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center (SVAMC), member of Tech List
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), member of the IP panel
- Institut für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz (INGRES)
- Association romande de la propriété intellectuelle (AROPI)