Attorney at law, Dr. iur., FCIArb
Head Arbitration Geneva
Cours de Rive 13
T +41 22 999 96 00
Thomas Legler is one of the leading figures in Swiss arbitration, with one source adding, his advocacy skills are highly impressive.
Who's Who Legal, 2022
Thomas Legler has very good analytic skills.
Chambers Europe, 2022
Thomas Legler is very experienced and well connected.
The Legal 500, 2022
Thomas is really experienced and truly understands what his clients want and need, and does a fantastic job guiding them through all phases of a dispute – which is quite a rare trait to have.
Legler is prized for his arbitration expertise and his know-how regarding matters at the intersection of IP, IT, media, internet and privacy law.
World Trademark Review, 2022
Thomas Legler is a partner and Head of Arbitration in Geneva. His practice focuses on representing clients in (inter)national arbitration and acting as arbitrator. In addition, he advises clients in the field of intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright), IT and data protection. Swiss Parliament elected him as deputy judge of the Federal Patent Court.
Thomas Legler is specialized in general contract and corporate law (incl. distributorship and licensing; pharmaceuticals and watch industry); international and domestic arbitration; litigation in civil law; intellectual property law (patents, trademarks, copyright); telecommunications, computer and Internet law; media and privacy law; construction law.
Thomas Legler is author of several publications, in particular in the field of arbitration, IP and Internet issues, and he is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences (see specific list).
Thomas Legler is recommended as litigator and arbitrator in professional publications and listings, such as The Legal 500, Chambers and Partners Europe, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers, Patent Law Experts, Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) and Lexology. In 2020, Thomas Legler was awarded with the Lexology / Client Choice award for Patent Law in Switzerland.
- Partner, Pestalozzi Attorneys at Law
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow (FCIArb)
- Partner of a major Swiss law firm in Geneva
- University of Geneva: Doctorate in law
- Foreign Associate, Wilmer Cutler & Pickering (now: WilmerHale)
- University of Geneva: LLM ("D.E.S."; Diplôme Etudes Supérieures en droit)
- Associate in a major Swiss law firm in Geneva
- Canton of Geneva: Bar admission
- Legal Counsel, Swiss Union of Privat Railways (UTP)
- University of Berne: Degree in law ("Fürsprecher")
- Canton of Berne: Bar admission
English, French, German
Compétences & IndustriesCompliance
IP & TMT
Life Sciences (sciences de la vie)
Contentieux & Arbitrage
- Fédération suisse des avocats (FSA)
- Ordre des avocats de Genève (OdA)
- International Bar Association (IBA), officer of the IP and Entertainment Law Committee
- Association suisse de l'arbitrage (ASA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), Fellow
- Indicative list of WTO Panelists
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Deutsches Institut für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), member of list of neutrals
- Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center (SVAMC), member of Tech List
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), member of the IP panel
- Institut für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz (INGRES)
- Association romande de la propriété intellectuelle (AROPI)