Laurent Killias is a partner in Pestalozzi's dispute resolution team and head of the arbitration group in Zurich. He concentrates on international arbitrational and commercial litigation in complex disputes. In addition to representing parties, Laurent Killias is frequently chosen as party-appointed arbitrator and chairman in international arbitrations.
Laurent focuses on contracts regarding construction, civil engineering, research and development, distribution and license agreements, joint ventures, banking and insurances as well as mergers and acquisitions.
His most recent experience include:
- Presiding arbitrator in an ICC case in the energy sector; amount at stake over USD 2.2. bn;
- Representing an investor in a Swiss Rules arbitration against a state in the Middle East and a state owned company; amount in dispute USD 1.5 bn, including setting-aside proceedings before the Swiss Federal Supreme Court;
- Presiding Arbitrator in a Swiss Rules arbitration in the railway sector; amount in dispute USD 120 mio;
- Counsel in a shareholders dispute in an ad hoc arbitration; amount in dispute over USD 25 mio;
- Counsel in a state court litigation defending respondent in a claim exceeding USD 120 mio;
- Counsel for one of the leading auditor in a liability case instituted by a Swiss bank; amount at stake CHF 60 mio;
- Counsel for a leading Swiss bank in a Swiss Rules arbitration in connection with consultancy agreement;
- Representing a Swiss company in a D&O liability claim in connection with the bankruptcy of a large Swiss company;
- Counsel for one of the largest state owned Chinese enterprise in an arbitration against a Australian company.
Laurent Killias is recognized by the leading directories and ranked as litigator, counsel in international arbitration proceedings and arbitrator. By way of example, Who'sWho Legal lists him as one of the "most highly regarded" individual (2017) and as a "top choice" (2016). Chambers Global praises him for his "precise answers" and "understanding" (2017), that "he is always careful and meticuluous" (2016), "very much to the point, pragmatic and calm under pressure" (2018). According to Legal500, he "has great gravitas in the courtroom" (2016). He is also listed in "PLCWhich Lawyer" and Guide to the World's Leading Experts.
Laurent Killias is a member of the Swiss Commission of Arbitration of the ICC and a Swiss delegate in the ICC Arbitration and ADR Commission in Paris.
Laurent is a co-founder and head lecturer of the Swiss Arbitration Academy. He is also a lecturer on international arbitration at the University of Zurich's LL.M. program.
Laurent Killias has published various works in the field of international litigation and arbitration, as well as in private international law and debt collection. In addition, he is a frequent conference speaker.
- University of London (King's College): LLM
- University of Zurich: Dr. iur.
- Bar admission: Switzerland
- District Court of Meilen: law clerk
- University of Zurich: lic. iur.
English, French, German
Expertise & IndustriesLitigation & Arbitration
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss Arbitration Academy (co-founder and member of the Academic Council)
- Swiss Arbitration Association
- German Institute of Arbitration (DIS)
- Wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Internationales Verfahrensrecht e.V.