Ivo Schwander is an Of Counsel to Pestalozzi and member of the Litigation & Arbitration group. He is a former Professor of Law at the University of St. Gallen. He advises clients with a particular focus on international and Swiss private law as well as international and Swiss civil procedure. His teaching interests include conflicts of laws, international and Swiss civil procedure, Swiss private law, comparative law, hermeneutics, analytical methods in law and intertemporal conflicts of laws.
Ivo Schwander served as director of the Institute of Legal Studies and Legal Practice at the University of St. Gallen from 1995 to 2007. From 2001 to 2007, he chaired the Swiss Society of International Law. In 1993, Ivo Schwander established the legal journal “Aktuelle Juristische Praxis (AJP)” and held the position of editor-in-chief till 2016. He is the author of numerous seminal publications in the areas of international and Swiss private law as well as international and Swiss civil procedure. Due to his extraordinary achievements, Ivo Schwander was awarded the “Grosser Walter Hug”-Prize in 2001 and the honorary doctorate by the University of Zurich in 2012.
- Honorary doctorate (University of Zurich)
- Of Counsel to Pestalozzi, Zurich
- Professor at the University of St. Gallen (until 2012)
- Post-doctoral thesis (University of Fribourg)
- Attorney at law, Lachen SZ (until 1986)
- Doctoral thesis (University of Fribourg)
- Graduated (lic. iur., University of Fribourg)