Florian Mohs is a stellar lawyer with second-to-none commercial understanding in arbitration disputes.
Who's Who Legal, 2020
Florian Mohs in an excellent arbitration counsel highly dedicated to defend the rights of his clients.
The Legal 500 Client Feedback, 2021
Florian Mohs – very commercial, strategic good advice, responsive.
The Legal 500 Client Feedback, 2021
Florian Mohs is a partner of Pestalozzi’s Litigation & Arbitration Group in Zurich. He acts as counsel in international commercial arbitrations and in court proceedings in Switzerland. Florian handles a wide range of commercial and corporate disputes, having broad experience in advising trading companies in commodities disputes, industrial companies in engineering and construction disputes, and pharmaceutical companies in licensing matters.
Florian Mohs' practice focuses on international commercial dispute resolution by arbitration and litigation. Florian represents clients as counsel in international commercial arbitrations, both institutional and ad hoc, as well as in court proceedings in Switzerland. His court practice also covers matters such as setting aside proceedings against Swiss arbitral awards, attachment of assets to enforce foreign arbitral awards or court judgments, and the contentious aspects of bankruptcy and composition proceedings.
Florian handles a wide range of commercial and corporate disputes. He has broad experience advising in the area of international trade, particularly relating to commodities trading in minerals, metals and energy sources, and business insight gained from his secondment to a major international commodities trader. He also has experience in dealing with construction matters, ranging from the installation of machinery to infrastructure projects, pharmaceuticals disputes, including licensing issues, and aspects of banking and finance, including trade finance.
Florian is an expert on the United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). He is a contributor to the leading commentary in the field and speaks and publishes regularly on the CISG, as well as on litigation and arbitration topics. Before joining Pestalozzi, Florian worked as a research and teaching assistant to Professor Dr. I. Schwenzer, LL.M. at the University of Basel, where his work focussed on the CISG. He has remained connected to the University of Basel as a lecturer for several years.
Florian is trained in both civil and common law jurisdictions and holds law degrees from Switzerland (Dr. iur., summa cum laude, University of Basel, 2005), New Zealand (LL.M., with distinction, Victoria University of Wellington, 2006), and Germany (First State Exam, Baden-Württemberg, 2002, concluding his legal studies at the Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg). Florian was admitted to the Swiss Bar in 2008.
Florian Mohs is named as a future leader in arbitration by GAR/WWL (he “combines exceptional legal skills with outstanding practical know-how” according to sources who consider him “the best in Switzerland”), and he received the 2018 Client Choice Award (Lexology/ILO) for Arbitration/ADR in Switzerland (https://pestalozzilaw.com/en/news/pestalozzi-news/florian-mohs-wins-2018-client-choice-award-lexologyilo-arbitrationadr-switzerland/).
- Partner at Pestalozzi
- University of Basel: Lecturer
- Associate at Pestalozzi
- Major international commodities trader: secondment as litigation counsel
- Bar admission: Switzerland
- University of Basel, Switzerland: Dr. iur. (summa cum laude)
- Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand: LL.M. (with distinction)
- Junior Associate at Pestalozzi
- Swiss National Science Foundation scholar, visiting scholar at ANU Canberra and University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Basel, Switzerland: Research and teaching assistant to Prof. Dr. I. Schwenzer, LL.M.
- University of Freiburg, Germany: First State Exam (Baden-Württemberg)
- University of Freiburg, Germany: Junior research assistant to Prof. em. Dr. Dres. h.c. Peter Schlechtriem, M.C.L.
Expertise & IndustriesBlockchain & Crypto Assets
Droit de l'énergie
Life Sciences (sciences de la vie)
Contentieux & Arbitrage
Restructuring & Insolvency
White Collar Crime
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA)