Sébastien Roy advises financial institutions, corporations and individuals on their transactions, contracts and regulatory matters. His practice focuses in particular on financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions and private equity. He also advises corporations on setting up operations in Switzerland and on their corporate and commercial matters. Sébastien Roy is recommended in his fields of expertise by various leading legal directories, including Chambers&Partners, Legal500 and IFLR1000.
Sébastien Roy heads the Financial Services Group and is a member of the Corporate / M&A Group in Geneva.
His practice covers all types of transactions in the banking industry, with an emphasis on financing and M&A transactions. He also advises banks and other actors of the financial services industry on regulatory matters.
Sébastien Roy is active in corporate and commercial transactions and contracts, including M&A, private equity and joint ventures. He advises Swiss and foreign companies to set up operations in Switzerland as well as on their corporate and commercial matters. He has an established experience in drafting and negotiating complex contracts, including share and asset purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, shareholders agreements and key commercial agreements.
As part of his banking and corporate practice, Sébastien Roy is regularly involved in restructuring and insolvency work.
Sébastien Roy is recommended in his fields of expertise by various leading legal directories, including Chambers & Partners, Legal500, IFLR1000 and Best Lawyers in Switzerland. Recent reports include the following:
• "Sébastien Roy is described as a 'very clever' practitioner, with sources recognizing his track record in M&A transactions in the banking sector." (Chambers Global, 2018)
• "I was impressed by his competence, availability and rapid response time." (Chambers Global 2017)
• "Clients respect that he is 'very knowledgeable about structuring, quick to understand financial issues and able to adequately reflect those in contracts.'" (Chambers Global, 2016)
• "Geneva practice head Sébastien Roy is 'responsive, pragmatic and commercial, and very good at explaining complex issues' say clients. He advises on financing and banking M&A and regulatory issues." (Chambers Global, 2015)
• "Described as 'very sharp and internationally minded' Sébastien Roy has particular expertise in the finance sector. He receives praise for his negotiation skills: 'When things get a bit hot he remains calm.'." (Chambers Global, 2015)
• "Sébastien Roy is 'very knowledgeable, pragmatic, and technically excellent.'."(Chambers Global, 2013)
• "Clients commend Sébastien Roy, saying: 'We can totally rely on him to move transactions forward.'." (Chambers Global, 2012)
• "Sébastien Roy is warmly commended by clients, who describe him as 'calm under pressure, dedicated and courteous.' They also appreciate his negotiation skills: 'He communicates clearly, adapts to the style of the counterpart and adopts a balanced stance.'." (Chambers Global, 2012)
Sébastien Roy was admitted to the bar in Switzerland (Geneva) in 1994 and as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2001.
- Partner at Pestalozzi
- Senior associate, Bär & Karrer, Zurich and Geneva
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales (not practising)
- Secondment, Norton Rose LLP, London
- Associate, Tavernier Tschanz, Geneva
- Secondment, Khattar, Wong & Partners, Singapore
- Admitted at the bar in Switzerland (Geneva)
- University of Geneva: lic.iur.
English, French, German
Compétences & IndustriesBanking & Finance
Blockchain and Crypto Assets
Sociétés / Fusions et Acquisitions (F&A)
Swiss Financial Market Regulation
- Geneva Bar Association
- Swiss Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Association Genevoise de Droit des Affaires