Alain Muster is a senior associate and member of Pestalozzi's Litigation & Arbitration Group in Zurich. His fields of expertise include international and national commercial litigation and arbitration, commercial law and private international law.
Alain Muster regularly represents corporate and private clients before Swiss courts in all fields of commercial disputes, including enforcement, attachment and recognition proceedings. He further advises Swiss and foreign private clients in complex cross border matters regarding inheritance and family law disputes. Other areas of work include art law and matters related to the transfer and protection of cultural property.
Alain Muster is a dual Swiss and Mexican national and advises clients in matters related to a variety of industries, including the finance and insurance sector and companies in the life science industry (pharmaceuticals and medical devices), commodities trading and construction, as well as private clients with a focus on Latin America.
Alain Muster attended the University of Chicago Law School and received an LL.M. degree in 2015 (Fulbright scholar). He graduated from the University of Bern (Master of Law '08, Bachelor of Law '07) with a specialization in business law. During his studies in Bern, he was a legal intern with the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs. He completed his junior associate term with Pestalozzi and was admitted to the Swiss bar in 2011. Before rejoining Pestalozzi as an associate in 2012, he worked as a research and teaching assistant at the Institute for Civil Law of the University of Bern (chair of Prof. Dr. Thomas Koller). He was seconded to a global medical device company in 2012/13, to a company in the biotech industry in 2017 and to the global litigation team of a major Swiss banking institution in 2017/18.
His native languages are German and Spanish. He also speaks English and French.
Alain Muster regularly publishes and speaks in his areas of expertise.
- Full time secondment with the global litigation team of a major Swiss banking institution
- Part time secondment with a company in the biotech industry
- University of Chicago Law School: LL.M. and Fulbright Scholar
- Associate at Pestalozzi
- Part time secondment with a global medical device manufacturer
- Bar admission: Switzerland
- Research and Teaching Assistant at the University of Bern
- University of Bern: Master of Law
- Junior Associate at Pestalozzi
- University of Bern: Bachelor of Law
- Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs: Legal intern
German, English, Spanish, French
Expertise & IndustriesLitigation & Arbitration
- Latin American Chamber of Commerce in Switzerland (Latcam)
- Club Español del Arbitraje (CEA), CEA -40
- ASA below 40
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum ICC YAF
- Fulbright Alumni Association
- Moot Alumni Association
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association